Tuesday, May 1, 2012

DETOUR at 20's

A detour. A new lease on life to grasp things anew. It isn't habitually the way we prob­a­bly look at road construction. And such is LIFE.

Two years have elapsed swiftly but the memory lives on. I could still vividly look back on the day I graduated from the College of Nursing - benign yet thrilled with the heebie-jeebies of what tomorrow has to offer me. I was 20 then. Months after, I took the Nursing Licensure Examination and, over the long haul, was able to scrape through. Just so everyone would know - I don't live a lavish or, in any way, a fancy-schmancy life. This led me to design a scheme for the ensuing time to come. After all, most of us were made to believe that education is man's greatest possession and weapon. If we wanted to be different, move up on the social ladder and have something we could call our own -  finish college. But no matter how plans are strictly laid down  before you, there are these things called "inevitable" that would transpire at the most unlooked-for circumstances in your life. Let me ask you, have you ever been cruis­ing through your day, only to be side­tracked by some­thing unplanned?

It was on the 21st of April (2011) when I was faced with the option of going to "Med School". This must be something huge, I was reckoning. Studying Doctor of Medicine is one of the most long-drawn-out and high-end that a student can enroll for. I was reviving myself thinking I must be tranced from a psychedelic time. But I was convinced enough, the thought was absolute and nonfictional. And that's basically where the dilemma sets in. (Well, for me, I consider it one). It's like choosing between trailing a profession you've definitely worked one's butt off for four years and earn subsequently or hit the books afresh for five more years for another degree and expand your scope of profession? Get a job or be another burden? I've moved heavens and earth to weigh things. And I believe God permitted me to choose the latter. 

Life is full of unplanned detours. Some are itty-bitty while some are just whopping. And on the sur­face, it can be hard to look at any of these as being good. I'am now 22 and I've progressed my first year in "Med School". We never stop earning a degree of wisdom through the years. God allows U-turns. Let us allow ourselves to enjoy our time in the cocoon and trust the process. It takes time for a butterfly to earn its wings and growth cannot be forced, they say. Why don't we just trust His plans and hold on to hope? Oftentimes, we are just purblind to see it as redirection, because we plunge ourselves too much from the negatives and see detours as rejection.









No comments:

Post a Comment